This Rhubarb Custard Pie is a favorite family pie recipe that we have been making for many years!
For some reason we like it better than when it is combined with strawberries or other fruits. The custard takes away some of the tartness but still leaves the rhubarb taste.
Did you know this about rhubarb?
Rhubarb is usually considered a vegetable. In the United States, however, a New York court decided in 1947 that since it was used in the United States as a fruit, it counted as a fruit for the purposes of regulations and duties.
11) Combine sugar, flour and salt, add butter and mix together like pie crust.
2) Add eggs and mix.
3) Add milk and beat thoroughly.
4) Put the raw, cut rhubarb into an unbaked pie shell.
5) Pour the custard mixture over the rhubarb and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
6) Lower the oven to 350 degrees and finish baking until the blade of a knife comes out clean (about 35 – 40 minutes).
It is delicious warm or room temperature. A scope of vanilla ice cream really tops it off!