In the past, it was thought that everyone was born with a certain level of intelligence. And, all you had to do was live up to that potential. However, scientists have proven that we can increase our potential and have fun in the process!
Here is a List of 7 Hobbies That Will Make You Smarter (and age successfully!):
(Based on Scientific Research):
- Play a Musical Instrument -Playing music has benefits, such as, analytical skills, creativity, fine motor skills, etc. However, unlike other activities, it strengthens the corpus callosum by creating new connections between the left and right cerebral hemispheres. Improving the corpus callosum also helps with problem solving, memory, and overall brain function no matter how old you are!
- Read Anything -Whether you like Harry Potter or the latest issue of the Colorado Springs Gazette, reading will reduce your stress! This will make you feel better about yourself and will help with problem solving. It will also increase your level of intelligence. Aren’t you glad reading is in the list of 7 hobbies that will make you smarter?
- Exercise Regularly – Need we say more! Regular exercise will flood your cells with BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor). This is considered an important protein that influences brain function as well as the peripheral nervous system. It helps with memory, concentration and understanding, learning and mental acuity. Sitting down for long periods of time actually has the opposite affect and hinders our brain from working as well as it could.
- Learn a New Language – If you want to be really good at solving puzzles, learn a foreign language. If you are bilingual, you will be a better puzzle solver than those who speak only one language. Leaning a new language enables your brain to better perform any mentally demanding tasks. That will serve you well as you age!
- Test Your Cumulative Learning – You can test your cumulative learning by keeping track of noteworthy bits of knowledge you acquire. It could be information from reading a book, observing other people’s interactions, or simply keeping a small journal with notes on anything that grabs your attention. Watching Jeopardy is our favorite activity for reaching into your brain for past-learned information.
- Work Out Your Brain – You want your nerve cells to respond in new ways which increases your neuroplasticity. Yes, that is a big word, but increasing it will improve your cognitive abilities and reduce anxiety as well as depression. So have fun with Sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, card games, board games and other activities that give your brain a workout!
- Meditate – A recent study showed that we can control our own brain waves and feel whatever we want to feel whenever we want to. Wow…that is powerful! What we can take from this is that the brain can further develop, and you can do it on purpose.You can work on improving your strengths as well as improving upon your weaknesses.
Engage In These 7 Hobbies That Will Make You Smarter