Winter is here and you need to be prepared living in Colorado. You never know when you could find yourself stranded due to bad weather, a flat tire, car problems, an accident or any other reason. It’s important to winterize your car and make sure you’re prepared for any of these situations as we approach winter. Here’s a handy list that will help you be prepared for anything this season might throw at you while you’re on the road.
- Full tank of gas – Having a full tank of gas ensures you’ll stay warm, your fuel lines won’t freeze, your battery won’t die and you’ll have enough gas to leave after whatever situation you’re in passes.
- Flashlight – You’ll need a reliable light source if you are stranded, especially after dark. Make sure to pack extra batteries for it to make sure it works!
- Cell phone charger – It’s very important to have this with you at all times so you can use your phone whenever you may need it.
- First Aid Kit – This is important to have in your vehicle during any season. In case of an emergency you want to make sure you have the basics covered. Click here to see what an ER doctor says should be in your first aid kit.
- Water and snacks – You never know how long you’ll be stranded, and you don’t want to risk dehydration, ever. Having snacks on hand ensures you stay strong and alert.
- Extra clothes and blankets – Very important to have these options if you’re stranded in cold weather. Make sure you have items stored for every member of your family.
- Jumper Cables – You never know if or when your battery will die. You might want to invest in a Jump Starter so you don’t have to wait for help to arrive. Read your car manual to see if you can safely use jumper cables, some models do not advise using.
- Flares – Another must have will alert rescuers where you are located and let others know you need help.
- Kitty Litter – If you are stuck in mud, snow, or ice, spreading kitty litter over the area can help improve traction. What an easy way to get you out of a messy situation!
- Tire chains – Always good to have in Colorado! You never know when a winter storm will hit and you’ll need some extra traction on snowy and slippery roads.
Also, pack some games and activities in the trunk, because you never know how long you’ll be stranded! Things to do can boost morale when you are in a tough situation.
Winterize your car and be prepared for winter driving!
Car-related Article: Buckle Up Your Pet